What
  • Daymarks
  • Fog signals
  • Lighthouse Service
  • Lighthouses
  • Lightvessels
  • Museums
  • Points of interest
  • Shore stations
Where
Strathy Point Lighthouse

A lighthouse was first proposed at Strathy Point in 1900 but was refused by Trinity House.  During the Second World War, a temporary light had been exhibited. However, shipowners repeated their requests for a light in the area.  It was a dark and dangerous stretch of coast. Dunnet Head Lighthouse and Cape Wrath Lighthouse were the only lights in the area. 

Strathy Point is a rocky peninsula on the north coast of Sutherland. It projects 3 miles into the sea from Strathy village.  Sheriff Sir Robert Maconochie led the campaign for a permanent lighthouse, with approval coming in the mid-1950s. 

Established in 1958, this was the last of the traditional ‘manned’ lighthouses built in Scotland. It was also the first Scottish lighthouse to be built as an all-electric station.  The accommodation was built for three keepers, their families and an Occasional Keeper.  Its design is unusual, being a hollow square with covered in passageways, which protect the winds.

Strathy Point Lighthouse

Strathy Point Lighthouse was automated in 1997.  A review of navigation aids was carried out by the General Lighthouse Authorities in 2010. In this review, the lighthouse was deemed no longer necessary.  Commercial shipping passed some distance to the north of Strathy, and leisure use was limited.  The lighthouse was therefore permanently discontinued on 2nd March 2012. 

Following its decommissioning, the property was sold by the Northern Lighthouse Board in April 2013. The cottages were sold off individually to private buyers. 

Strathy Point Lighthouse

  • Established: 1958
  • Height of tower: 14 metres
  • Elevation of light: 45 metres
  • Automated: 1997
  • Discontinued:  2nd March 2012
  • Engineer: Peter H Hyslop