Stoer Head Lighthouse was built in 1870 by Northern Lighthouse Board engineers David and Thomas Stevenson. The tower is quite short, but due to its high elevation on the cliffs, the light is around 194 feet (59 metres).
The peninsula at Stoer at Assynt in North West Sutherland is around 3½ long and 2 miles wide. The rock stack, the Old Man of Stoer, can be easily reached from the lighthouse to the north.
Building the lighthouse was difficult due to its remoteness, and stone, building materials and supplies were all landed by sea. A jetty was purpose-built about a mile to the southeast of the lighthouse for this operation. Near the jetty, a bothy was built and used by the men building the lighthouse. Inside this bothy, a mural showing the eastern elevation of the lighthouse can still be found and probably dates back to the 1800s. The bothy was sold off by the Northern Lighthouse Board in the 1960s and was sold off most recently in 2015.
The Principal Keeper, Assistant and their families lived at the station until automation in 1978. The site was quite remote, so the families had to be self-sufficient. A byre, stable, cowshed, pigsty and cart shed are all still visible. The children went to Stoer Public School, but they had to go to boarding school when they went to secondary school.
Following a review of navigation aids in 2015, the range of the light at Stoer Head was reduced from 24 to 18 miles.
The original optic was removed during modernisation and reused at Fife Ness Lighthouse.
Stoer Point is popular, and lots of walkers and wildlife watchers visit each year.