St Bees Lighthouse has the highest elevation of the Trinity House lighthouses being 102 metres above sea level. It was also the last coal-fired lighthouse in the UK.
A patent was first granted for a lighthouse at St Bees Head in 1718. A coal fire burned at the top of the tower but the light was often obscured by poor weather or smoke, leading to complaints from shipowners.
In 1822 fire destroyed the lighthouse and a new tower was built using oil lamps.
St Bees forms part of the classic Coast to Coast walk which starts (or ends) at St Bees and leads to Robin Hoods Bay in Yorkshire.