What
  • Daymarks
  • Fog signals
  • Lighthouse Service
  • Lighthouses
  • Lightvessels
  • Museums
  • Points of interest
  • Shore stations
Where
South Queensferry Lighthouse

South Queensferry Lighthouse is located on the southern shore of the Firth of Forth. The lighthouse stands at Hawes Pier, alongside the Forth Railway Bridge. 

South Queensferry operated a ferry service between Hawes Pier and North Queensferry across the water. This continued until the Forth Road Bridge was opened in 1964.

South Queensferry Lighthouse was in operation until the Hawes Pier Light was established in 1877.  The sandstone tower was built in 1812 designed by John Rennie.  Some of the arches in the design have human heads carved into the design. The lighthouse on the opposite side at North Queensferry was built at the same time.

The lighthouse can be found behind the RNLI Station on the pier.

Hawes Pier
Hawes Pier Lighthouse

Hawes Pier Lighthouse was established in 1877. It was probably deactivated after the  Forth Road Bridge was built in 1964 but was later reactivated.  The square lattice tower is located off the Hawes Pier’s northern end, west of the Forth Railroad Bridge.

The Hawes Inn, opposite the pier, served ferry passengers. Today Hawes Pier is mainly used for boat trips around the Firth of Forth.

South Queensferry Lighthouse

  • Established: 1812
  • Discontinued: 1877
  • Engineer: John Rennie