At the entrance to Montrose harbour stands the tall white tower of Scurdie Ness Lighthouse.
Originally known as Montroseness, the lighthouse was established in 1870 to the design of David and Thomas Stevenson. It was first lit on 1st March 1870.
The area around the lighthouse is low-lying, and with no cliff on which to elevate the tower, the structure is an impressive 128ft tall, with 170 steps to the top.
During World War 2 it is reported that the lighthouse was painted grey as a disguise, using a mixture of limewash and ash.
An LED lamp was installed in January 2018.
On the opposite side of the River Esk are two leading lights that guide vessels into the harbour. Originally both these lights were carried on conventional lighthouses. The rear harbour light remains. However, the front light was demolished and replaced by a concrete pile light in the 1970s.