Porthcawl Lighthouse is a hexagonal cast-iron tower at the south-east end of the breakwater. Built in 1866, it was the last coal and gas-powered lighthouse in the UK.
Porthcawl developed as a coal port during the 19th century. However, as trade increased in Barry, it dwindled at Porthcawl.
Its lantern was replaced with the current one in 1911
It was powered by North Sea gas in April 1974 before electrification took place in 1997.