What
  • Daymarks
  • Fog signals
  • Lighthouse Service
  • Lighthouses
  • Lightvessels
  • Museums
  • Points of interest
  • Shore stations
Where
Port St Mary Lighthouse

There have been a number of lighthouses marking the entrance to Port St Mary and the Carrick Rock.

In 1812 the Inner Pier at Port St Mary was built with a 17-foot high lighthouse on the pier’s end.

The Inner Pier light later formed a transit with a fixed red light on a hill to the port’s western side.

Port St Mary Inner Pier
Port St Mary Inner Pier

The Inner Pier Lighthouse is now an octagonal white stone tower with a red band. The building also has a small window in the rear to be seen from within the harbour.

In 1882 a new breakwater, Alfred Pier enlarged the harbour, with a fixed green light at the end. In 1892 the pier was extended and a hexagonal cast-iron lighthouse built at its end.

The tower had been transferred from Port Erin and displayed a red occulting light every 10 seconds. When a vessel was due, a fog bell sounded. The bell was discontinued in the 1990s.

Old lighthouse
Former Alfred Pier Lighthouse
Photo: Thurstan Denne

On 11th January 2009, a severe gale destroyed Alfred Pier Lighthouse, leaving only its stumps behind. The harbour authority quickly established a temporary light. However, it was not until November 2018 that a new tower replaced the temporary light.

Alfred Pier Lighthouse
The new Alfred Pier Lighthouse

The two lights form a transit to clear the Carrick Rock to the east. A black and red lattice tower marks the submerged rock.

Carrick

Close to the inner harbour is a building which was used as an oil store for Chicken Rock Lighthouse.

Port St Mary store
Former oil store for Chicken Rock Lighthouse

Just along the road, close to St Mary’s Church is the former lighthouse shore station for the lighthouse keepers and their families of Chicken Rock and later Calf of Man Lighthouse.

Port St Mary Alfred Pier Lighthouse

  • Established: 1892
  • Current tower: 2018
  • Char: Oc R 10s

Inner Pier Lighthouse

  • Established: 1812
  • Height of tower: 8 metres
  • Character: Oc R 3s