In 1876 a harbour facility was attempted at Port Erin. On the southern end of the bay, a large breakwater was built with a lighthouse at the end. This lighthouse is thought to have been relocated later to Port St Mary.
However, in 1881 the breakwater was destroyed during a storm.
In 1884 a buoy was placed at the end of the demolished breakwater and a pair of leading lights established at the bay’s rear to provide a safe passage.
The Port Erin Front Range Light which stood on the beach was a square lattice tower. The Rear Range Light was mounted on a concrete pole on the promenade.
A 36-foot high octagonal lighthouse with a red band later replaced the Front Range Light in the same location, on the beach.
A street lamp in the promenade has since replaced the Rear Range light. It displays two polycarbonate lamps showing fixed red lights.
In 1912 Raglan Pier was built near to the demolished breakwater. The Raglan Pier Lighthouse was built at the end of this 1916.