Located near the village of Talacre, Point of Ayr Lighthouse was built in 1776 to guide ships entering the Dee estuary.
Chester was once an important port before the development of Liverpool. Initially, lights were displayed at Whitford Garn in Flintshire and at Hillbre Island off the Wirral, funded by the Earl of Chester. Following the loss of two Dublin vessels in 1776, proposals were put forward to improve lighting along the coast.
Point of Ayr Lighthouse was designed by Henry Turner. As the tower was built on the sand, it was supported with screw piles drilled beneath it into the sand. The tower had three floors and a coal store in the basement.
The lighthouse initially displayed two lights. The main light had an elevation of 63 feet and shone towards Llandudno. The lower light shone towards the River Dee.
Trinity House took over responsibility for the lighthouse in 1819. The following year the tower was increased in height and a new lantern was added. During its operational life, the lighthouse was painted with red and white bands, with a red lantern and gallery.
In 1844 Trinity House erected a metal pile lighthouse to replace the stone tower. The new screw-pile lighthouse, designed by James Walker, had nine cast-iron piles driven into the sand. A corrugated iron accommodation pod gunmetal lantern was mounted on top.
The screw-pile lighthouse was later replaced in 1883 by a lightvessel. The lighthouse no longer remains.
Following its decommissioning in 1884, Point of Ayr Lighthouse was sold in 1922 to private ownership. It is currently under the ownership of the nearby holiday park.
The tower was restored in 1996. It was badly damaged during storms in 2007 but later restored by its owners, who also own the local caravan park.
The beach is protected by a long stretch of sandy dunes. The lighthouse is inaccessible at high water, but it is possible to walk out to it at low water with care.