What
  • Daymarks
  • Fog signals
  • Lighthouse Service
  • Lighthouses
  • Lightvessels
  • Museums
  • Points of interest
  • Shore stations
Where
Plover Scar Lighthouse
Photo: Roy Thompson

Located at the entrance to the River Lune, Plover Scar Lighthouse was originally built as a Low Light, working in conjunction with the High Light on the foreshore at Cockersand.

The two lighthouses formed a transit, guiding vessels through a channel into Glasson Dock and the Lancaster Canal.

Plover Scar Lighthouse
Photo: Roy Thompson

Cockersand Abbey Lighthouse

Also known as Cockersand Abbey Lighthouse, the High Light was built in 1847 to the design of Jesse Hartley, who designed a number of lighthouses for the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board.

Cockersand Abbey Lighthouse
The former Cockersands Abbey Lighthouse.

The square wooden tower had four single-storey buildings attached to its base, providing accommodation for the Lighthouse Keeper.

Later a stone cottage was built alongside, which still remains.

Lighthouse Keepers

The Raby family kept both High and Low Lighthouses until 1945 when the Parkinson family took over.

Mrs Parkinson was filmed in 1948 lighting up both Plover Scar and Cockersands Abbey Lighthouse:

The wooden lighthouse was demolished in 1954 after being replaced by a new red-painted tower. The latter was discontinued sometime after the mid-1980s.

Cockersand Lighthouse cottage
Located along Slack Lane, within sight of Plover Scar Lighthouse, the former Cockersand Abbey Lighthouse Keeper’s Cottage
Photo © David Medcalf (cc-by-sa/2.0)

Walking out to the lighthouse at low water is possible, but great care is needed, and do watch the tides.

Plover Scar Lighthouse

  • Established: 1847
  • Height of tower: 8 metres
  • Elevation: 6 metres
  • Character: Fl W 2s
  • Range: 6 miles