The lighthouse was established in 1912 and is located at the end of the South Breakwater of Peterhead Bay.
The disused lighthouse is located in front of the Port Authority control building on the west pier at the entrance to the old inner basin.
It can be seen across the water from Albert Quay. It was decommissioned around 2004.
The lighthouse was originally located at the south entrance to Albert Quay inner basin. When the quay was extended, it was relocated in 2015 to the corner of The Esplanade and Alexandra Parade.