There have been several lighthouses in North Shields over the years, guiding vessels into the River Tyne.
Established in 1727, North Shields Old High Lighthouse was discontinued when the Fish Quay High Lighthouse came into operation.
Fish Quay High Lighthouse is located opposite Dockwray Square, near the Stan Laurel statue, a short walk away from North Shields Old High Lighthouse.
Fish Quay Low Lighthouse lined up with Fish Quay High Lighthouse to form leading lights, guiding vessels into the River Tyne.
They replaced the earlier Old High Lighthouse and Old Low Light.
The location of the former Low Lighthouse, close to Fish Quay Low Lighthouse, this is now a Heritage Centre
This archive photo below shows the Fish Quay Low Lighthouse, and Old Low Light to the far left