What
  • Daymarks
  • Fog signals
  • Lighthouse Service
  • Lighthouses
  • Lightvessels
  • Museums
  • Points of interest
  • Shore stations
Where
Neist Point

Neist Point Lighthouse is located at the westernmost point of the Isle of Skye. From landward, the lighthouse is accessed via a three-quarter mile walk along the huge promontory. A long path, which is quite steep in places, passes dramatic rising cliffs en route. 

Neist Point

Supplies used to be landed either by boat at the nearby landing stage or across the land. The lighthouse keepers used a mechanised pulley (Blondin wire) system to transport stores, equipment and sometimes keepers down the precipitous cliff!

Neist Pulley

Neist Point Lighthouse was first lit on 1st November 1909. However, the fog signal, which has since been discontinued, was not completed until 25th June 1910.

Following the automation of Ushenish, Flannan and Dubh Artach Lighthouses in 1970/1, the lighthouse became the monitoring station for these lighthouses.

Between 1975 to 1990, the keepers’ families lived at the Shore Station at Portree.

The lighthouse was automated in 1990, and the cottages are now privately owned. 

The former optic is on display at the Museum of Scottish Lighthouses.

Neist Point optic
The former optic is now on display at the Museum of Scottish Lighthouses

Neist Point Lighthouse

  • Established: 1909
  • Height of tower: 19 metres
  • Character: Fl W 5 s
  • Elevation: 43 metres
  • Range: 16 miles
  • Automated: 1990
  • Engineer: David A Stevenson