Morecambe Stone Pier Lighthouse stands at the end of the pier, overlooking the vast Morecambe Bay.
The seaside town of Morecambe developed in Victorian times from three small fishing villages. By the nineteenth century, Morecambe had become a thriving port. Its harbour was built in the 1850s for larger ships unable to use Glasson Docks.
The 36 feet tall octagonal lighthouse was built in 1815 on the seaward side of the railway terminus on Morecambe Stone Pier. It was designed by Thomas Stevenson.
The Stone Jetty was completed in 1853, forming part of the harbour. It was built by the North Western Railway as a wharf and rail terminal for both passengers and freight.
A wooden pier, also built by the railway existed just east of Stone Jetty with railway lines and dated from 1850. This pier has since been demolished.
The railway was completed in 1861 linking Morecambe to Hest Bank, and on to the Lancaster to Carlisle line. This enabled the export of coal to Ireland.
With the development of the port of Heysham in 1904, trade within Morecambe Harbour rapidly declined, and by 1932 the railway yard had closed. The harbour was eventually used for shipbreaking, one of its casualties being the White Star Liner, SS Majestic.
However, as part of a major redevelopment scheme between 1994 and 1995, the Stone Pier was refurbished and partly rebuilt. The refurbishment formed part of coastal defence work using rock armour. Colourful pavements and art sculptures were also installed.
The lighthouse still shines out across the bay and is operated by Lancashire Port Authority.
The former station building next to the lighthouse is now a cafe.
The tides here can move quickly, and care should be taken crossing the sands at low water. Due to the nature of the sands here, the RNLI chose Morecambe for their first active Hovercraft Lifeboat. Just along the promenade is a statue of Eric Morecambe who was born here in 1926. He changed his name to Morecambe after his home town.