The Lowestoft Pier Lighthouses guide vessels into Lowestoft Outer and Inner Harbours.
Two piers were built at Lowestoft in 1831, either side of the entrance to the harbour, known as the Inner North and Inner South Piers. Both piers were originally 500 feet long. The pier lighthouses for Lowestoft harbour were added in 1846.
The South Pier was also extended in 1846 to 1,320 feet, and various buildings were added, including a bandstand and reading rooms.
The reading room was destroyed by fire in 1885, and a new pavilion replaced it by 1991. The pavilion was later demolished to make way for a marina that was not built.
The end of the pier was closed in 1987, but in 1993 it was reopened following repairs.
The sheltered harbour of Lowestoft allows access into Lake Lothing and on via lock gates into Oulton Broad.
Lowestoft Harbour and lights are maintained by ABP Ports Lowestoft.