Four lighthouses were built along the northern coast of Wirral in 1761. Two of these were built at Leasowe to guide ships into the Port of Liverpool.
The other two lighthouses were built at Hoylake in 1764, known as the Lake Lights. The Upper Lake Lighthouse, when lined up with the Lower Lighthouse guided vessels into a sheltered area when ships were unable to sail into Liverpool due to poor weather conditions.
Built of brick, the lighthouses were later whitewashed to make them more visible.
Hoylake High Lighthouse was rebuilt in 1865 and first lit in 1886.
The Low Lighthouse was designed to move with the shifting of the channel. This tower was rebuilt in 1833 and again in 1865.
Hoylake Low Light was decommissioned in July 1908 and later demolished. There is very little evidence of the lighthouse today, other than a stone gatepost.
The High Lighthouse tower and cottages are now in private ownership.
Current tower: 1866
Height of tower: 16 metres
There is a replica lighthouse tower nearby at the coastal end of Stanley Road, opposite the golf course.