Holyhead Breakwater Lighthouse was established at the end of the 1.5 mile long breakwater in 1873. The breakwater, the longest in Europe, was built between 1846 and 1873 using stone from the local quarry, now part of the Holyhead Breakwater Country Park.
The engineer is thought to have been John Hawkshaw who oversaw the works of the breakwater.
The lighthouse contained a fog bell which was later added to with rockets working with guns fired from North Stack fog station.
The lighthouse was automated in November 1961 and monitored from from the Trinity House Holyhead depot.
Today it is the responsibility of Holyhead Port Authority