What
  • Daymarks
  • Fog signals
  • Lighthouse Service
  • Lighthouses
  • Lightvessels
  • Museums
  • Points of interest
  • Shore stations
Where
Holburn Head Lighthouse

Just around the bay from Thurso on the western headland of Scrabster is Holburn Head Lighthouse. Close by in the harbour, ferries run from Scrabster to Stromness in Orkney.

A light was first exhibited at Holburn Head on 1st September 1862, displaying a flashing white light towards the Pentland Firth and Thurso Bay. A red light sector shone towards Scrabster Roadstead.

A short walk along a private road from Thurso Lifeboat Station leads to the now disused lighthouse at Holburn Head. It is an unusual shaped square white tower, tapered at the top towards the lantern. 

Holburn Head Lighthouse

The lighthouse and cottages are privately owned, and a footpath leads to a steep walk through the field behind, where you can see the ferries arriving.

The lighthouse was automated in 1988. In August 2003, following a review of navigation aids and alterations to the port facility, the lighthouse was permanently discontinued.

When it was decommissioned in 2003 the lighthouse was sold off and is now a private residence.

Holburn

Holburn Head Lighthouse

  • Established: 1862
  • Automated: 1988
  • Decommissioned: 2003
  • Engineers: David and Thomas Stevenson