Flamborough Head Lighthouse was established on 1st December 1806, designed by samuel Wyatt.
A tower first marked the dangerous headland northeast of Bridlington in 1669. This tower, built by Sir John Clayton, was never lit.
It had a sector of red glass marking dangerous waters. This system was later widely adopted at other lighthouses.
Flamborough Lighthouse was automated in 1996.
The lighthouse is now open as a visitor centre.