If you are interested in the Stevenson family of lighthouse engineers, there are a number of lighthouse graves in Edinburgh at several cemeteries.
The Stevenson family tomb is located in the New Calton Burial Ground in Edinburgh.
The tomb is at the eastern end of the cemetery.
Within the tomb are memorials to Robert Stevenson and his two sons Alan and Thomas Stevenson, along with other family members.
Robert Stevenson was engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board. Among his engineering achievements were around twenty lighthouses including Bell Rock Lighthouse (1811), Isle of May (1816) and Barra Head (1833).
His wife Jane Smith Stevenson (1779 – 1846) was the oldest daughter to Thomas Smith, the first engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board, later business partner with Robert.
Both Thomas and Robert lived at nearby at Baxters Place.
Two of his sons, Alan and Thomas are also interred here.
Alan Stevenson’s work included included Skerryvore Lighthouse (1844), Noss Head (1849) and Ardnamurchan Lighthouse (1849).
Thomas Stevenson with David Stevenson were responsible for numerous lighthouses including Out Skerries (1854), Butt of Lewis (1862) and Dubh Artach (1872).
Thomas Stevenson’s son, Robert Louis Stevenson (1850 – 1894) is buried on Vaea Mountain
A few minutes’ walk from the New Calton Burial Ground is the Old Calton Cemetery.
There is a memorial stone for Thomas Smith (1799 – 1846) and his third wife Jean Lillie Smith (1751 – 1820).
The stone is located on the left-hand side of the cemetery.
Further lighthouse graves can be found at the Dean Cemetery in Edinburgh.
Within the graveyard are memorials to several members of the Stevenson family of lighthouse engineers.
Born at Baxter’s Place, Edinburgh, David Stevenson designed around thirty lighthouses, including Muckle Flugga (1854) and Dubh Artach (1872).
David Alan Stevenson was responsible for the design of twenty six Scottish lighthouses including Fidra (1885) and Flannan Isles (1899).
Part of the inscription reads:
DAVID STEVENSON, F.R.S.E. & . Inst. G.E.
Born 11 January 1815 – died 17 July 1886
Engineer in the Commissioners of Northern Lighthouses
DAVID ALAN STEVENSON, Engineer, M. Inst.C.E.
Commissioners of Northern Lighthouses
Born 21 July 1854 – died 11 April 1938
The full inscription can be found at Findagrave
Charles Stevenson designed lighthouses including Sule Skerry (1895) and Rubha Reidh Lighthouse (1912).