The first rock lighthouse to be built in Europe was constructed in 1698 on the Eddystone reef, around 12 miles off the shores of Plymouth.
The third Eddystone Lighthouse, built by engineer John Smeaton, was built in 1759 and now stands proudly on Plymouth Hoe as a memorial. This tower is open to the public.
The present lighthouse, the fourth, designed by Sir James Douglass, was built in 1882.
Read more about the lighthouses of Eddystone