The two lighthouses at Buckie originally worked as a pair of leading lights.
Cluny Harbour, the industrial centre was built by the Cluny family in 1877 replacing the Nether Buckie Harbour. It was designed by D and T Stevenson, lighthouse engineers.
Nether Buckie was later renamed Buckpool, and was filled in for use as a park in the 1970s.
Buckie North Pier Lighthouse was established in 1913. Originally the lighthouse worked in conjunction with the Cliff Terrace lighthouse behind to form leading lights.
It now operates as a rear range light working with a small column light at the end of the North Pier.
The lighthouse on Cliff Terrace is the former Rear Range Lighthouse that worked with the North Pier Lighthouse. They no longer operate as leading lights but both of the Buckie Lighthouses are still operational.