The current Amlwch Lighthouse is the fourth lighthouse to be built in the harbour.
The harbour at Amlwch was improved in 1743 when two small piers were built. Two octagonal buildings were erected with lanterns exhibited from the roof.
An outer pier was built in 1816, and the following year a lighthouse was built at the end. This was replaced in 1853 by the current lighthouse. The current lantern was added later.